Blog This

Friday, February 16, 2007

Valentine's Day

So Valentine's Day here is a bit different than back in Canada. On Valentine's Day in Japan it's only the men who receive chocolates. Yes, only men! When I heard about this I thought that it seemed a bit backwards from what I know back home because it seems like women are the only ones who remember or really care about Valentine's Day (I apologize to those guys who love Valentine's Day). But women aren't left out completely, we get White Day on March 14. I learnt from one of my students that it is called White Day because it has something to do with sugar, makes sense.

At the end of most of my lessons, we do a 5min bit called Cultural Awareness and and this month is explaining our Valentine's Day versus theirs. When I finish explaining it I usually tell the students that Japan is special because they have 2 days in the year meant for love whereas we in North America can only handle one day in a year.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home