Blog This

Saturday, November 18, 2006

Another note on transportation

A few things I forgot to mention. Over here people don't lock their bikes to anything when they leave their bikes, instead they just lock the bike. I put a lock on my back tire and I hope that that is all I need to prevent theft. It didn't really make sense to me when I first got here and it still doesn't cause if someone wants the bike bad enough, they can figure a way to get ride of the lock. Oh well, do as the Romans do I guess.

Another reason why biking is kind of scary here for me is the fact that some of the drivers are kind of crazy here. It is very normal to see people run red lights, in fact I think it's expected that they will run the light right after it turns red. So when I was crossing the street here in the first month it was frightening because not only would i look the wrong way out of habit but i wouldn't expect a car to be going through when it wasn't supposed to. Riding in a car here for the first time was a bit weird. I'm looking forward to being a passanger when I get home cause it will probably feel just as weird after being here for a year.

1 Comments:

  • Oh my goodness. I am having the exact same experience. And the thing with locking your bike, I don't think anyone wants your bike badly, there's about a million others just like it, but it's just to prevent someone to ride off with it conveniently. You know, like in the movies when the cop is trying to catch a thief and they grab whatever is available to do the chase... something like that. Haha.

    By Blogger ~diana~, at 10:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home